1 lb. fresh mushrooms (my mother used canned)
1/4 cup butter, divided
1 tbl. vegetable oil
1 (3lb) sirloin tip, cut in 1-inch cubes (my mother used stew meat)
3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup beef broth, divided
3/4 cup red wine
2 tbls soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced (my mother used garlic powder)
1 onion, chopped
2 tbls cornstarch
1/2 (10 1/2- oz.) can cream of mushroom soup (my mother used the whole can)
Salt, to taste
1. Saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter and spoon into a (3-quart) ungreased casserole. Season meat with meat tenderizer.
2. Add remaining butter and oil to skillet. Add meat and just brown. Do not cook completely. Spoon over mushrooms.
3. Combine 3/4 cup broth, wine, soy sauce, garlic and onions. Add to skillet, scraping bottom often.
4. Blend cornstarch with remaining 1/3 cup of broth and stir into wine mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. Spoon over meat, stirring to blend.
5. Cover and bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour.
6. Add mushroom soup and season with salt, if needed. Serve over noodles or rice.